Thursday, January 31, 2013

Interview with author Emma L. Edwards

Interview with the author of a blood-thirsty new Vampire series

Author Interview – Emma L Edwards

Emma Edwards is the author of blood-thirsty new vampire series Sanguinary.  Taking a different approach to the vampire genre Sanguinary is about ‘real vampires’, whilst still infusing more traditional vampire legends to give a fresh new twist on the vampire tale.  There are currently two books in the series – Sanguinary and the follow up, Imbrued.
Sanguinary300DPIAbout Sanguinary
Would you bleed for the one you love?
Angel Harris has always had a thing about vampires, but not so much the killer that is claiming victims in the city where she lives and works. The press are calling him ‘The Vampire’, because the victims are found drained of blood, with bite marks to their necks.
Ash is the lead singer in a local rock band. Angel is drawn into his world when she is asked by her boss at the local newspaper to investigate rumours of blood drinking within Ash’s band.  Ash and Angel bond on a deep level and she finds herself welcomed into this group of supposed blood drinkers.
But the body count continues to rise and Angel will soon find out that ‘The Vampire’ is closer to her than she ever would have believed.
Sex, blood and rock n roll.
The interview…
Firstly, tell us about your book/series.
Sanguinary is about a different kind of vampire.  My vampires are otherwise human but have a physical need to drink blood.  The series has elements of horror, vampirism and romance all set to a rock n’ roll backdrop.  It tells the story of Angel, who is drawn into a world of blood-drinking when she falls for the singer of a local rock band.  But whilst she is loved up and getting to know the vampires there is a killer stalking the city, leaving young girls exsanguinated.  The path of true love doesn’t run smoothly and things rapidly begin to spiral out of control for Angel, whilst the killer circles closer to her.  Imbrued is the follow up to Sanguinary, continuing Angel’s relationship with the vampires, whilst a different threat appears.
What are you working on at the moment?
At the moment I am working on the third book in the Sanguinary series.
What inspired you to become a writer?
A love of reading led to a love of writing.  As a child I was always in the library, devouring every Stephen King and James Herbert book that I could get my hands on.  Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles was my introduction to vampire literature.  And reading all these amazing stories made me want to create some of my own.
How long have you been writing?
For a long time! I started writing when I was a teenager, I used to write freehand then, scrawling stories into note books.  And I’ve never stopped since.  But it has taken me a while to get here, to having two books actually published.
What is your relationship with your characters? Do you have a favourite?  Is there one that you find a bit more difficult?
Angel is so easy for to me write, she just flows.  And as for Ash, well he’s arrogant, jealous, possessive and has anger issues but he is as hot as hell and I’m completely in love with him.  None of my characters prove too difficult, with the exception of Ash, they are a well behaved bunch.
Is there anything that you find challenging about being a writer?
Time management at the moment.  What with promoting and networking with other writers, sometimes it’s hard to find the time to actually write.
Do you have a strict writing routine/word count per day?
Not at all, some days it comes easy and the words will flow in their thousands, other days are harder but hopefully it all evens out in the end.
Do you have any plans to write in a different genre in the future?
Yes, I have a few outlines for books much more set in reality.  But I guess it will always end up coming back to my first literary love, vampires!
Are you also an avid reader?  What are you reading at the moment?
Absolutely, when I get the time I love to read but I don’t get as much free time as I used to.  At the moment I’m reading Poppy Z Brite’s Lost Souls.
The vampires are attacking!  Grab the first thing you see to your right and hit them with it!  What was it?  And how do you think you did in the ensuing fight?
A glass of strawberry flavoured water.  I guess unless the vampire really doesn’t like strawberries then I may be in trouble.  But hey, if he’s a hot vampire, who’s fighting anyway?
The afore mentioned vampire attack didn’t go so well and you were bitten by the vampire…now what?
Well, if he is the hot vampire that I was hoping for then I guess I would be quite content to spend immortality with him.
In the event of a zombie apocalypse what item would you make sure that you took with you to your underground safety bunker? (we will presume that your family are already safely in the bunker!)
It would probably be the memory stick that I have all my writing files saved on to.  They are all backed up in about three other places (yes I am that paranoid about losing it all) but I would have to make sure that I had at least one copy with me.  And if I’m grabbing the memory stick, I may as-well take the laptop too, I’d getting plenty of time for writing in that bunker….until the zombies start banging on the door.
Can you give us five random facts about yourself?
I have three tattoos which I have had done in dedication to my books.
A canvas art of Brandon Lee from The Crow is on my living room wall.
One of my dogs is called Luci-Fur.
I love the film The Lost Boys and have watched it countless times.
Despite all the blood thirstiness that I write about I have been a vegetarian for 18 years.
Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?
My biggest issue with getting my writing published was confidence.  It is a scary concept, putting your work out there, open to criticism.  But since I have done it, so far I have had a great response.  So my advice is sometimes you have to take a chance, because you never know how it may all turn out.
Is there anything you would like to say to your readers?
The first thing I would say to anybody who has taken some of their precious time to choose to read my books is thank you and I would hope that they have enjoyed the experience.  The other thing that I would say is that books live and die by word of mouth, if you have read any book and enjoyed, pass the word on, tell your friends, leave a review or rating on Amazon or Goodreads and help to make the book that you enjoyed a success.
About Emma
Emma (2)Neo-gothic Welsh wordsmith Emma Edwards has written since childhood. She worked in Business Administration, married and nurtured her beloved kids, but it was only when they started to get older that she had the time to create, write and publish her first novel Sanguinary and more recently the follow up, Imbrued.
At thirteen, Emma watched The Lost Boys and ever since, she’s had a thing about vampires, so it was inevitable that they would be the focus of her debut novel.
Emma’s writing style is sassy, sharp, dynamic, uncompromising and tends to the dark side. Let’s just say it’s never going to be rainbows and fluffy bunnies with Emma. Okay, there is one fluffy bunny in Imbrued, but he doesn’t last long!

Purchase Information:

http://www.emmaedwards.net/index.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JYK7FC/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B008JYK7FC&linkCode=as2&tag=ilovevampiren-20
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanguinary-ebook/dp/B008JYK7FC
 

No comments:

Post a Comment