Thursday, March 7, 2013

Booksessed: Review - The Briton and the Dane: Concordia

Booksessed: Review - The Briton and the Dane: Concordia: Book - The Briton And The Dane: Concordia by Mary Ann Bernal Published by CreateSpace; January 2013 211 pages Format: Paperback Genres:...


Having read the three previous novels in The Briton and the Dane series, I was anxiously waiting for Concordia to be released. I am have been obsessed with this series; it's wonderful.

I was impressed with how seamlessly Concordia fits with the rest of the series. I didn't reread the other novels in the series, but I did skim some passages I had noted earlier and didn't have to double back. Concordia was a hard novel to put down, but I loved that it drew me in immediately each time I picked it up again. To me, that is the mark of a great book.

While I really liked Concordia the novel, Concordia the character was a different story. She was a very hard character to like because of her impulsive, manipulative nature. While I think part of that is the young age of her character, it was still hard to root for her. Yet at the same time, part of what kept me reading was I had to know if Concordia grew up a bit during all her ordeals.

In Concordia there were so many complex and strained relationships. Chad and Thayer were my favorite characters to read scenes of. They were the most diabolical and trying to figure them out was so enjoyable. 

The ending was the most amazing part for me. I wasn't sure how everything was going to come together and the ending completely blew me away. It was unexpected and the more I thought about it, I don't see how things could have ended another way.

I am unsure if this is the last novel in the Briton and the Dane series. If it is, it will be hard for me to say goodbye to these characters, but I will eagerly read anything that Mary Ann Bernal writes. She has a knack for writing characters that is so enjoyable. I cannot recommend this series enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment