Saturday, March 15, 2014

Brenda Perlin Wins Flash Fiction Challenge

to Brenda Perlin, the readers’ choice in this week’s Indies Unlimited Flash Fiction Challenge.
The winning entry is recognized with a special feature here today and a place in our collection of winners which will be published as an e-book at year end.
Without further ado, here’s the winning story:



Jaws of Justice
by Brenda Perlin
Through the metal fence his eyes caught my attention. It was as if he read my mind. He could sense that I would cause him no harm. Something in the way he looked my way showed he understood. There was a connection that even I couldn’t explain.
The sign on the fence read, Justice- Adult male. Has food fights.
 Of course he would fight over food, I said to myself. If I were locked up in a cell with other hungry, lonely dogs, I would fight too.
He looked more like a wolf than a dog and was mangy and sickly, even ferocious  looking, yet there was something that made it close to impossible to walk the other way. The attraction was there in an instant and my reservations about bringing home a dog blew away like sand in a windstorm.
 His heart, though weary, seemed to call out “I need you.” I knew that because my heart was saying the same thing, too.
Though my house was less than perfect for a dog, the moment I passed his way I knew that this is where he belonged…at home with me, by my side, cuddled in-between my legs.

http://www.indiesunlimited.com/2014/03/14/brenda-perlin-wins-flash-fiction-challenge-2/

No comments:

Post a Comment