Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Briton and the Dane: Birthright Review

Where to start? I loved the first book Briton and the Dane but there was so much unresolved that I was eager to read the next book, yet having waited several weeks between finishing book one and starting book two I was a bit apprehensive that I would be lost. I dug out the notes that I took during the reading of book one, but I needn’t have worried; it all came back to me. I was excited as soon as read the prologue. I can’t really go into specifics because I feel that would be spoiling parts of both books if you hadn’t read them, but I’ll do my best.

I think that Birthright is my favorite (so far) of the series. I liked book one a lot, but I loved this one. There are so many plot twists and so many things to figure out. I do have to mention though that I thought I had something figured out and admittedly it was kind of far-fetched and I almost caved and had the author tell me whether my theory was correct when she offered, I’m glad that I declined because the wait was worth it. (My theory was correct by the way). I also had a near break down during a heartbreaking moment for one of my favorite characters. I don’t want to tell you which one, you’ll just have to read it.

I love the way that the story is told as well. There are so many characters doing so many separate things but you know they’re all going to meet in the end. (Think of how the movie Love Actually is told). It’s a lot to keep track of, but it’s a wonderfully easy and fairly quick read. After a few chapters, you get a flow of the characters and which side they are connected to and as more characters are introduced, they fit in seamlessly. I love the mix of historical background, family/love bonds and adventure. It makes the book such a great read.

I also love the format of the book. Don’t be deceived, it looks daunting due to its length, but it’s not. It’s larger font than books usually have, with paragraphs with what looks like double spaced lines and the chapters are short. While that doesn’t seem like a huge deal, but I love when books are formatted in such a way especially when they fall under the category of epic adventures. It makes me as a reader feel like I’m reading faster than I am without getting overwhelmed.

There were a lot of cliffhangers in this book and I cannot wait for the next one! I’ve perhaps gotten a little too attached to these characters.


Jenn Ladd
Booksessed Blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment