Monday, November 5, 2012

Book Review: Journey to Freedom

‎5 Star Review Journey to Freedom
Beautiful story of love and hope, November 5, 2012
By Pebbles

This review is from: Journey to Freedom (Perfect Paperback)
I collect books for a charity and occasionally one is sent to me that I read first. Sometimes I read a book that I find so moving I think it needs to go on to the charity so I buy it for them. This book could easily be in both categories. I received it for the charity box, read it, then decided if it wasn't for the charity I would have bought it for them anyway.

The two main characters are Greggory "Black Arrow" and Marissa, but the story line does a magnificent job of threading together all the people that surround them and become their family. It is a wonderful love story between these two, however we get to witness several other love stories develop. The entire book spams about five years during the Civil War. It illustrates just what families, slaves, those of mixed races, and individuals at the time dealt with the war and society that surrounded the time period.

Toward the end two characters come together and discuss the bible quite a bit. I found this part a bit preachy. The rest of the book mentions God but in a way that just seems conversational. Had someone told me this was a "Christian" story, honestly I wouldn't have read it. That is why I wanted to give it 4 stars, but if I passed up on it for that reason I would have missed a lovely story that truly drew me in. That is why I moved it up to 5 stars.

The bible bits are really well done and important to the plot, so don't let that turn you off from reading this book. If you are religious or just spiritual like me, you will still enjoy the weaving of history, love, hope, and perseverance. If you like Historical Fiction and don't care for any God talk at all in a book, I still think you could really enjoy the book.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00833ETPS

No comments:

Post a Comment