Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Briton and the Dane Concordia by Mary Ann Bernal Amazon Review

 
 
 
 
 
 
5.0 out of 5 stars History brought to life, 29 Jan 2013

This review is from: The Briton and the Dane: Concordia (Paperback)
This is the first of Mary Ann Bernal's novels I've read but it won't be the last! I enjoy historical fiction but don't want to be bombarded with facts at the expense of a good story so, I'm delighted to say, the author did not disappoint.

Concordia, a wilful, spoilt young girl, brought up close to the court of King Alfred during the late 9th century, has her heart stolen by an exotic, foreign dignatory before he returns to his homeland. Her infatuation and naievity take her on a journey, by boat, to Europe and beyond. The scenes are beautifully set to stage battles, voyages and royal courts and the reader sees through Concordia's eyes the violent, often uncivilised times she lives in, as well as the honour, gallantry and bravery of many of the characters. Part of me wanted to see Concordia's journey from naievity and innocence to maturity and wisdom but that would have been a different story!

This book receives my 5* rating as I loved the story telling, would recommend to others and read again. I look forward to reading more books by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment