Monday, July 22, 2013

Mary Ann Bernal interviews author Sarah PJ White



Today we are fortunate to have with us Sarah PJ White, author of The Last Angel, who has graciously agreed to give us a little insight into her life and her books.  So let’s get started.

Please tell us a little about yourself.

I am a fantasy and non-fiction author, as well as a qualified life coach and alternative therapist. I am also the founder of Self Confidence Workshops, a website that helps adults build their confidence and self esteem.

What projects have been published?

The first book I published was a small non-fiction one called The Little Book of Elder. This was really an experiment – my first dabble into self-publishing. It showed me how it all worked, how to get books onto Amazon etc. This was followed by my first serious non-fiction one (The Self Confidence & Self Esteem Bible), aimed at building confidence in wives and mothers.

The Last Angel is my first fiction novel to be published. It is the first in a Trilogy – The Account Trilogy – and is, hopefully, the first of many!
 
Tell us about The Last Angel.

The Last Angel is a fantasy novel. It is based on life as we currently know it, but with a slight twist – there are people amongst us who have access to their higher powers – and it all revolves around our thoughts on The Bible and our own abilities.

The Last Angel has several messages within it, hidden amongst several layers. Firstly there’s the obvious religious/faith element and understanding what these are to you; then there’s the elements related to hope and destiny – would you step up to yours, if you were confronted with it? Finally, there’s friendship and family; what you would, and wouldn’t do for your nearest and dearest.

It’d be great if readers can see that we all have these elements to deal with; and that understanding them is also part of the key to understanding our their own lives.

How did you select the title of your novel?

I was originally going to call the first book Crystal but, although it was the main characters name, it didn’t convey what the story was about, so I opted for The Last Angel.

What was your inspiration?

I get most of my ideas from my dreams – and The Last Angel is no exception. It was an initial dream  I had – but it just kept evolving and bugging me – until I started writing an outline for it!

 
What are you currently working on?

I’m currently planning out the follow-up to The Last Angel, so the second book in The Account Trilogy; it’s called Angel Uprising. On the non-fiction side, I’m currently planning a couple of articles and converting a six week confidence building course into book format.

 
Do you have any advice for other authors?

If you want to write, allow yourself the time to write. Don’t put it off or delay until you’ve a) more time, b) retired, c) got the approval of whomever and d) you’ve got a certificate that gives you permission. If you want to write; write. Study a writing course, read writing books by all means, but remember: ultimately it’s about the story. If you try to take every bit of advice you’re given, you’ll never start. Just get the story out of you and into written form.

 
Before you all start throwing things at me – I’m talking from experience. I was like a sponge – soaking up every book on writing I could get my hands on. If I listened to them all, I’d have incredibly long short chapters, would have had to put the odd visual reminder for the reader to either wake up or remind them to breathe, and wouldn’t have published a thing yet –as I’d be too worried about whether I’d edited too much or too little.
 

I studied several writing courses and went to Swanwick Writers Summer School – if you can do either, great. What I’m saying is don’t do them instead of writing.

 

 

 

Where can we find out more about you, and where can we purchase your books?

You can find out more about me, and my books, from my website: http://www.sarahpjwhite.com . All of my books are available on Amazon – my author page is:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sarah-PJ-White/e/B006A5Q0KS/

1 comment:

  1. Lovely interview and enjoyed reading Sarah PJ White's advice about writing. n x

    ReplyDelete