Sunday, December 29, 2013

Phil Naessens Top Ten Books of 2013

http://www.philnaessens.com/apps/blog/show/40227290-my-top-ten-books-of-2013



2013 has been an amazing year for me personally and over the next few days I’ll be counting down some of my favorite memories in the form of a top ten list. Below are my personal top ten favorite books of the year!

10). Hollywood Shakedown by Mark Barry

This book has a bit of everything in it and while it’s fiction I can believe stories like this happen everyday, especially in Las Vegas. This is another book with incredible dialogue, believable characters and a storyline that makes this book hard to put down.

9). Innocent: Confessions of a Welfare Mother by Barbara Morrison

This book was amazing. It isn’t easy being poor anywhere but in America being poor and a welfare recipient is the equivalent of being a lazy bum who doesn’t want to work. Morrison shoots that typecast down in a blaze of extremely powerful yet humorous stories about being a mom on welfare.


8). A Reason to Tremble by Bob Mustin

Bob Mustin is an incredible writer and this mystery novel had me at hello. The dialogue in this book is absolutely incredible and I hope more people read his work because Mustin can write.

7). Manson by Jeff Guinn

Charles Manson was and is a nut but this book attempts to explain why he’s a nut. It’s a very good and easy read.

6). Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography by Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson was one of the best ever and just like his fighting style he hits hard, is brutally honest and downright hilarious. He also takes full responsibility for everything except one thing. You’ll have to read the book to find out what that is.

5). Long Shot by Mike Piazza and Lonnie Wheeler

I’m not the biggest fan of Mike Piazza but I did appreciate this book for its honesty. I now understand Piazza much better than I did before and have a greater respect of his accomplishments as he truly was a long shot.


4). The Patriarch by David Nasaw

I’ve always assumed Joe Kennedy was nothing more than a bootlegger that got lucky. That’s only a sample of the patriarch Joe Kennedy. Nasaw filled in the rest and I was lucky to read this book. If you are like me you will gain a greater understanding of Kennedy and what really made him tick.


3). The Briton and the Dane Concordia by Mary Ann Bernal

I’m a fan of Historical Fiction and after reading this book I became a fan of Bernal as well. This book was well researched and easy to read with believable story lines and characters. If you would like to be taken back in time and read story lines that still happen today this is the book for you.

2). Sweet Scent of Justice by Debbie Wilson

This is a faith based true crime thriller that blew me away. Wilson decides after 20 years to find out the truth about what happened to her sister and winds up helping authorities catch her killer. The ending is absolutely shocking and something we don’t see every day.

1). Skater in a Strange Land by D.W. Frauenfelder

I like a dream come true and this fantasy based ice hockey story filled that for me. I could identify with the main character Sherm in so many ways I thought he was writing about me. The book has everything in it and if you like fantasy, mystery and ice hockey than I suggest you read this book.

1 comment:

  1. Great list, and 2 of my favourite reads listed - Hollywood Shakedown by Mark Barry (what a story this is, brilliantly written) and The Briton and the Dane; Concordia an exceptional work of fiction. Well done !!!! n x

    ReplyDelete