Joining me in the studio today, is Ms. Mary Ann Bernal. She is an author, a TV celebrity, and supporter of all things military.
Mary Ann, tell me a little about yourself:
I am the author of The Briton and the Dane novels and an avid history buff whose area of interest focuses on Ninth Century Anglo-Saxon Britain during the Viking Age. While pursuing a degree in business administration, I managed to fit a few creative writing classes and workshops into my busy schedule. Unfortunately, it took decades before my “Erik the Viking” novel was ultimately published.
You said you were an avid supporter of the military?
Yes, I am a very passionate supporter of the United States military. I have been involved with letter writing campaigns and other support programs since Operation Desert Storm.
Thank you for that. As a veteran, its nice to feel appreciated. What is this I hear about a "celebrity" status?
Celebrity? Hardly. I have appeared on The Morning Blend television show hosted by KMTV, the CBS television affiliate in Omaha, and I was interviewed by the Omaha World-Herald for my volunteer work. I have also been a featured author on Triangle Variety Radio, The Phil Naessens Show, and The Writers Showcase, and have been interviewed extensively by American and European bloggers.
I would definitely call that "celebrity!" So, you live in Omaha?
I do currently reside in Omaha, Nebraska, but I am a New York “expat.”
So, leaving New York was on your bucket list? What other things would you like to cross off that list?
1. Getting my pilot’s license 2. Riding in a hot air balloon 3. Parachuting with my nephew, retired US Ranger 4. Attending the Indie 500 5. Spending a week walking the ruins of Pompeii 6. Visiting Stonehenge during the summer solstice
7. Exploring Cornwall, starting at Tintagel
8. Sightseeing in Málaga - especially the locations referenced in The Briton and the Dane Concordia 9. Volcano hopping in Hawaii 10. Visit the Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde, Denmark
Sounds like you've got a great life planned out. Lets hope for a long, fabulous life! Now...who is Mary Ann Bernal? Give me a few insights, not the normal bio stuff, but the things that really make you...you.
1. I was born on a Navy base. GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY! I really can't agree with that, but go on.
2. I drive a Honda with 85,000 miles and still going strong.
3. Nancy Walker (actress best known for appearing on the TV show Rhoda) and I almost collided on a sidewalk in Manhattan.
4. I hung out with the First Class flight attendants on a trip from Texas to New York and was introduced to Mickey Mantle who, of course, was flying in First Class.
5. Tom Jones touched my hand during a concert at the Westchester County Center in White Plains, New York.
6. I was the only female in an accelerated program created for US veterans pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree. 7. My favorite color is teal, worn by my favorite football team (Miami Dolphins)
8. While in Bermuda, I had a motorbike accident and severed my right calf muscle. When brought to the clinic, I assisted the doctor, who was also from New York, as he stitched my leg since his nurse had yet to arrive at the office.
Tough...obviously that military upbringing!
9. Being a proud Trekker, I have attended Star Trek conventions in New York City and have been to the Star Trek Experience at the Las Vegas Hilton, and can be found on the Voyager bridge next to Captain Janeway.
10. I fought off a mugger in the Parking Garage at LaGuardia Airport.
Wow! All of that and an author to top it off. Fantastic! Do you have any links you'd like to share to your work?