Tournament and Joust
DateSat 18 & Sun 19 Jul 2015
Time11am - 5pm
LocationKenilworth Castle and Elizabethan Garden
Trumpets will sound, knights will clash and history will spring to life as the Medieval Festival of Tournaments and Joust comes to Kenilworth Castle.
The brand new Medieval Festival is English Heritage’s greatest medieval celebration, bringing together the very best bits from events all over the country in one almighty weekend. With a cast of hundreds, and a full-throttle programme of knightly combat, it will also be Kenilworth Castle’s biggest medieval event in centuries.
An authentic medieval joust and knights’ tournament are at the heart of the festival. Teams of knights and squires will compete in challenges of skill and strength in spectacular arena shows in this fast-paced sporting event. This is a real competition with pride and victory at stake.
With hundreds of medieval characters setting up camp in the castle grounds, there’s much more to the weekend than armour-clad competition. Expect jesters, falconry, live music, encampments of medieval townsfolk in every area of the castle, hobby horse jousting for young (and young at heart) knights, authentic food and drink, a bustling medieval marketplace and more historic fun and games than ever before.
Timetable of events:
10.30am: Medieval Music
10.30am: ‘Art with Attitude’ - The modern history of Armour. A chance to handle real armour in our own Armour Antique Roadshow
11.00am: School for Fools - Learn some of the tricks of how jesters used to keep their masters and mistresses laughing with our resident Jester
11.00pm: Team Tourney - Which team will come out on top in this first bout of the Knights on foot tournament?
11.30am: Archery – see the soldiers display their prowess with bow and arrow as they compete for glory
11.30pm: Medieval Music
12.00pm: The Arming of the Knights (Kids Zone)
12.00pm: Single Combat Tournament - A series of individual challenges will test the competitors’ skills in poleaxe, spear and swordsmanship
12:30pm: Medieval Falconry Display
1.10pm: The Grand Medieval Joust - Watch this thrilling display of no-holds-barred medieval combat. Afterwards, have your flags signed by the knights!
2.00pm Drill & Firepower – See the knights practice with the revolutionary weapons of the 15th Century
2.00pm Nought ‘Twixt the Ears’ - Meet Peterkin the Fool
2.30pm ‘Art with Attitude’ - The modern history of Armour. A chance to handle real armour in our own Armour Antique Roadshow.
2.30pm Medieval Falconry Display
3.00pm The Arming of the Knights (Kids Zone)
3.00pm Pell Mell - see all the foot teams take to the battlefield in one final mass Pell Mell
3.30pm ‘Fe Fi Fo Fire Show!’ - Half an hour of serious silliness. Combining stilts, fire and the fool, Peterkin – what could go wrong?!
4.10pm The Grand Medieval Joust - Watch this thrilling display of no-holds-barred medieval combat. Afterwards, have your flags signed by the knights!
5.00pm Medieval Music
Kids' Zone activities, running throughout the day.
- Junior Jousting – Budding knights & princesses take attempts to hit the quintain
- At full tilt – our adults version of junior jousting!
- Mini Melee – To arms! Test your knightly prowess against other chivalric foes in our lively children’s foot tournament
- Have a go Archery. Do you have a strong arm? Find out with our have a go archery and discover your prowess as you take up a bow and arrow and take aim. £1 for 3 arrows
- Sunday only: Theatrical Wounds – have gory gashes and festering wounds applied to see injuries brought to life by the Royal Shakespeare Company’s make-up artists
(Kids' activities above are included in the admission price, with the exception of Have a go Archery, which is £1 for 3 arrows)
Also, throughout the day:
- Living History. Meet a cast of hundreds as the tourament's Medieval followers come to Kenilworth to cheer on their champion and set up their encampments in the castle grounds. Be sure of a warm welcome as you explore their camps and step back in time. The medieval townsfolk, with craftsmen and cooks hard at work, will be sleeping, eating, and entertaining in authentic medieval style
- A spot of retail therapy. At the medieval marketplace you will discover the best, authentically recreated, historic wares for sale. From baskets to beads, and buckles to boots, this will be the perfect place to take home some medieval inspiration. Don’t forget to visit the English Heritage shop for treats to take home too!
- Delicious Festival Fare. No family friendly festival is complete without a feast of tempting treats to try. Hungry time-travellers will be able to enjoy medieval recipe cakes and biscuits, delicious deep filled pies, jerkies and condiments, alongside a tipple of cider, beer and cordials. There will also be take away food kits so you can bake your own historic delicacies at home. Enjoy more tasty fare at the Stables Tearoom or grab something at one of the Food Stalls as you head to the Kings’ Arena
Parking Notice: Please note that a Park & Ride service will be running throughout the weekend. The main castle car park will be reserved for disabled parking only. Please follow the AA signs to the Park & Ride, which is located at Thickthorn Field, Kenilworth, on the A452, just off the A46. Please note that disabled parking will also be available at the Park & Ride and all park and ride busses will have disabled access. Please also note that the small car park at the rear of the castle, opposite the Queen & Castle pub, will be closed over the weekend of the Medieval Festival. For further information, please contact the castle on 01926 852078.
|Child, 5-15 years||£7.80|