Friday, January 24, 2020

Spotlight on author Bronwyn Elsmore




In tropical beach mode on a small island in Vanuatu a few months ago, 
with some other animal friends.


Some fun facts about author Bronwyn Elsmore


Born under the sign of Libra.


 While I have an amused view of such things, I am drawn to balance and harmony. And I like to think that while the Libran symbol is the balance/scales, the word is similar to that for book – libre/liber/libri. Together they seem to sum me up pretty well. 



For the past dozen years, I’ve kept a record of books I have read in the year.

[Long pause while I complete and review my list for 2019] For the past few years, the total has been between 70-80, with a high of 93.

As usual, they’re non-fiction and fiction in a variety of genres, with Literary Fiction being my first pick. I’m always looking for books that are ultimately uplifting, which doesn’t mean they can’t deal with negative subjects. 



As well as an author of a dozen books, and hundreds of shorter works, 
I am also a playwright.

Along with my reading record, there’s another of the stage-plays I’ve been to. The number of those is showing a decline, for several reasons – reluctance to find parking in the city, I don’t review plays as I used to, and for a similar reason to my views on books – so many are on depressing subjects. However, playwriting has given me much pleasure over the years, and there’s nothing like sitting in an audience seeing actors adding their skills to one’s words.




I’m located in the South Pacific, so when most of the globe’s population are enduring winter, I’m glorying in summer days.

Right now, I’m spending a lot of time caring for my annual crop of monarch butterflies.  I grow plants for the caterpillars, make sure they have enough to eat, keep predators at bay, and bring them inside to develop safely. It takes many hours of my time but it’s lovely to see them fly off. Each butterfly I let go with the words “have a happy life.”


Altogether I spend far too much time on them and each year tell myself next year I won’t do it. But here I am, back into it. So far this season I have liberated 63 butterflies, and there are plenty more to come!




Cats are another thing. I don’t go looking for them, they find me. 

At the moment, I have to accept I have three – not by choice but because they’ve all turned up having decided to live here rather than wherever they came from. Over past years others have come and gone at their will or when I’ve managed to find other homes for them. Then there’s the wild tomcat that turns up for food when he’s in the area.

 One of the present three, Teddybear, I have tried to give away to three different willing new owners. Give him a few days and he’s escaped and walked back. Teddybear has now returned here five times, so he’s made his will very clear – he’s staying!


Bronwyn with #1 cat, McCullum, named after the, then, captain of the New Zealand cricket team


You can find out more about author Bronwyn Elsmore here:

Book Council

You can purchase Bronwyn Elsmore's books here:


  Amazon link

Backwards Into the Future
Everyone knows you can’t go back. Everyone except Mary.  A plum tree has gone. A lemon tree thrives.  A mystery surrounding a boat with painted eyes remains. A novel with the feel of a memoir – I find the combination very appealing.”    


Amazon link
    
Every Five Minutes
Gina, if that is her real name, sets out for work. Deliberately, she misses the bus and walks into the city, then turns and walks back again. This is not a day for work. Today she will spend with a white dog and a remarkable man. “I hated the story to end. Read it and you'll see. It's a lovely, lovely book.”




Seventeen Seas
Stowaways in lifeboats? Germans claiming deckchairs? When passengers from many places cruise together, there must be fun. Fiction, non-fiction, humor – Seventeen Seas is all of these. For all who have taken a cruise, think they'd like to, or are certain they never would!



Amazon link


These Islands Here — Short Stories of the South Pacific
Literary fiction, stories of life in the South Pacific – pleasure, pain, calamity, comedy, fun, misfortune, loss, triumph. Most have been published previously, several have won short story competitions.
 

2 comments:

  1. How lovely of you, Mary Ann, to tell your followers about me and my work. Thank you!
    All the best to you and for your books - I hope 2020 is a great year for you./

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to have you, Bronwyn. Wishing you the best with your books.

      Delete