Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Spotlight on Amy Maroney, author of Island of Gold (Sea and Stone Chronicles)

 


1454. A noble French falconer. A spirited merchants daughter. And a fateful decision that changes their destiny forever.

When Cédric is recruited by the Knights Hospitaller to the Greek island of Rhodes, his wife Sophie jumps at the chance to improve their fortunes. After a harrowing journey to Rhodes, Cédric plunges into the world of the knights—while Sophie is tempted by the endless riches that flow into the bustling harbor. But their dazzling new home has a dark side.

Slaves toil endlessly to fortify the city walls, and rumors of a coming attack by the Ottoman Turks swirl in the streets. Desperate to gain favor with the knights and secure his position, Cédric navigates a treacherous world of shadowy alliances. Meanwhile, Sophie secretly engineers a bold plan to keep their children safe. As the trust between them frays, enemies close in—and when disaster strikes the island, the dangers of their new world become terrifyingly real.

With this richly-told story of adventure, treachery, and the redeeming power of love, Amy Maroney brings a mesmerizing and forgotten world to vivid life.

Buy Links

 Universal Link

This novel is available on #KindleUnlimited

 ¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨) ( ¸.•´

 Amy Maroney

Fun Facts
(Stuff you may or may not already know!)

I’ve lived in Europe four times, starting when I was in middle school. That’s why I have memories like this: I won a medal for shot put in a track and field competition in Paris at age thirteen. It was the first time I’d ever picked up a shot—and also the last.

During our two-year stint near Frankfurt, Germany, I managed to be completely mortified by my family’s American-ness and at the same time singularly committed to not fitting into my new world. I also developed an abiding passion for historical romances and castles.

 


Neuschwanstein Castle
Source: Unsplash

In my twenties, I freelanced as a writer and editor and did lots of volunteer work. My favorite unpaid gig was at the Marine Mammal Center in Marin County, California, where I grew up. The volunteer shifts were twelve hours long and we wore rubber boots, rubber overalls, and rubber gloves. That’s because we spent most of our time in the pens with seals and sea lions, cleaning up after them, feeding them, and protecting each other from them with tall wooden shields. The best part was releasing rehabilitated animals back to the ocean.

 

Source: Unsplash

I love to draw and paint. I’ve been taking art classes since our first daughter was born twenty-two years ago. One of my favorite drawing instructors, Phil Sylvester, gives great advice that I apply to writing, too. To help his students stop comparing themselves to others and stop worrying about producing “bad” work, he’ll tell us to actively try to be the worst artist in the group. “You’re all going to draw a pig,” he’ll say. “And I want your pig to be the worst, the most hideous, the most awful pig in this room.” It completely disarms everyone and makes us relax and feel free to create. I think about his advice often while writing first drafts.

 

Drawing and photo by Amy Maroney

I love to dance. I’ve been dancing since I was a kid and my mother enrolled me in ballet, jazz, and tap. I still take dance classes today. No one in my family notices when I break into spontaneous dancing around the house because it’s constant. To them, it’s like a leaf blower going outside – just part of the background. One of my great joys is dancing with my women friends.

 

Source: Unsplash

Growing up, I was the only member of my family who liked to swim. And I was terrified of deep water. My husband, on the other hand, is totally at home in deep water, huge ocean swells—the more action-packed the water situation, the better. Thanks to him, I’ve ventured out into deeper and deeper waters. I’ve always enjoyed snorkeling, but I used to stay in waist-deep water; now I’ll go out farther and see much more. Once I realized I could tread water for long periods or rest on my back, I started swimming in lakes and ponds. Now I love floating on my back in mountain lakes, just staring up at the sky, listening to the wind and the water.

 


Source: Unsplash

 ¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)  ( ¸.•´


Amy Maroney

Amy Maroney lives in the Pacific Northwest with her family, and spent many years as a writer and editor of nonfiction before turning her hand to historical fiction. When she's not diving down research rabbit holes, she enjoys hiking, dancing, traveling, and reading. Amy is the author of the Miramonde Series, a trilogy about a Renaissance-era female artist and the modern-day scholar on her trail. To receive a free prequel novella to the Miramonde Series, join Amy's readers' group at www.amymaroney.com. (Just copy and paste into your browser.)

 Social Media Links

  Website   Twitter    Facebook    Instagram   Pinterest   Amazon Author Page   Goodreads   Book Bub



4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting today's tour stop.

    Mary Anne
    The Coffee Pot Book Club

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Ann, thank you for hosting me today! This was a fun post to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the behind the scenes stuff. Thanks for "telling all".

      Delete